Planned Parenthood Texas Votes (PPTV) works to foster and preserve a social and political climate in Texas favorable to full reproductive health care access including abortion, through electoral activity, legislative advocacy and grassroots organizing, to promote and protect the mission of Planned Parenthood affiliates in Texas.
PPTV is expanding our communications team and is hiring a Communications Manager that will work for both PPTV and PPTV Political Action Committee (PAC).
The Communications Manager will be responsible for working closely with Planned Parenthood affiliates and national Communications and Public Affairs staff to develop, manage and execute communications campaigns within the state of Texas. The Communications Manager will utilize traditional media relationships to enhance the visibility of Planned Parenthood in reproductive health politics and public policy, define the role of reproductive health care in electoral politics, promote positive movement for reproductive health politics and public policy through media narratives, and brand the organization as the statewide advocacy, public policy and electoral arm of the Planned Parenthood affiliates of Texas. The Communications Manager will also be responsible for copywriting and for developing a variety of external and internal communications materials.
This position supervises a Digital Organizer and a Graphic Design & Multimedia Specialist.
This is a full-time exempt position based in Austin, Texas.
STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT & COORDINATION
- Collaboratively develop the annual communications strategy of PPTV by soliciting cross-departmental and stakeholder input. Manage implementation of the strategy and be responsible for executing components of the strategy.
- In conjunction with national level and affiliate level staff, formulate objectives, target audiences, key messages, tactics, timeline, and evaluation of communications plans and campaigns.
- Coordinate statewide media strategies to ensure development and implementation of a consistent message, as needed.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the organization; screen and respond to press inquiries and requests for information; arrange interviews with and prepare talking points for organization spokespersons.
- Identify and develop potential surrogates and third party validators; maintain contact lists, provide training and equip with messages and talking points.
- Organize press events, conferences and briefings as needed.
- Pro-actively contact editors, reporters and producers to secure coverage and reframe the issues.
- Work closely with Planned Parenthood affiliates and external coalition partners to develop and deliver a consistent, unified message.
- Lead brainstorming and planning sessions; identify and share innovative new ideas for promoting PPTV, its initiatives, and its positions
- Stay up-to-date on reproductive health and related issues; synthesize existing research materials; and serve as an educational resource for reporters.
- Monitor current events and keep agency staff abreast of breaking news stories through media updates and alerts.
- Manage media database and write reports for internal and external audiences.
- Evaluate media outreach efforts and report on impact to stakeholders.
- Develop and write press releases, statements, media advisories, letters-to-the-editor, opinion editorials, fact sheets and content for online mediums such as websites, blogs and social media sites.
- Develop and write timely informational and promotional materials to include: collateral copy, annual report, presentations, newsletter articles, web copy, advertising copy, video scripts, blogs and other materials.
- Edit copy for content, accuracy, grammar, punctuation, voice, style, etc. in a timely and consistent manner.
- Create collateral materials and collaborate with the Graphics Design & Multimedia Specialist on production of collateral materials
- Collaborate with the Digital Organizer and the Graphics Design & Multimedia Specialist; provide guidance on digital engagement messaging, including supporter emails and content for PPTV’s website
- Ensure consistency with Planned Parenthood style guide.
- Ensure compliance with conditions of 501(c)(3), 501(c)(4) and PAC guidelines for approved activities.
- Protect the confidentiality of Planned Parenthood clients, donors, board, and all areas of operation.
- Assign and oversee the day-to-day activities of the Digital Organizer and the Graphic Design & Multimedia Specialist.
- Provide coaching and feedback to ensure high quality and consistent performance and productivity of staff, including conducting performance reviews.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Marketing, Journalism or related field or equivalent years of work experience required.
- At least four (4) years of full-time communications experience, preferably in a political or social issues setting, and at least one (1) year of supervisory experience.
- Experience developing and maintaining credible and productive relationships with traditional news media, and in managing rapid/crisis response.
- Skill in a variety of writing styles including Associated Press (AP) style, copy editing, proofreading methods and practices.
- Intermediate proficiency in Microsoft Office Products (Word, PowerPoint and Excel).
- Experience with graphics software such as Adobe Creative Suite preferred.
- Strong organizational skills, detailed-oriented and self-motivated .
- Able to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, deadline driven team environment .
- Bilingual, English/Spanish preferred .
- Skill in producing clear and consistent high quality work with attention to detail.
- Skill in proactively researching and quickly synthesizing information, and presenting it creatively in a variety of formats.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and complete assignments in an efficient manner, as well as adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently, with minimal supervision.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships, and work collaboratively, with PPTV and affiliate staff, as well as external partners and consultants.
- Ability to work after regular business hours, as needed.
PERSONAL QUALITIES / OTHER ATTRIBUTES
The Communications Manager will demonstrate the following:
- Collaborative work style; able to facilitate amongst diverse communities and individuals
- Comfortable in ambiguity; able to create clarity and understanding
- Experienced in getting to “yes” in a collaborative, consensus driven style
- Enjoys operating in a fast-paced and demanding environment; a nimble and flexible work style
- A direct and open interpersonal communication style
- A smart and confident leader with a clear and informed opinion
- Deep appreciation for mission of Planned Parenthood
- Diplomatic style; and high emotional intelligence
- Integrity, independent thinking, and personal courage
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
PPTV offers a competitive benefits package that includes 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage, life and AD&D ($20,000) and short term and long term disability for the employee. We also offer an optional flexible spending account and additional life coverage. Full-time employees receive 11 paid holidays plus an additional winter break and two weeks paid time off.
HOW TO APPLY
Email a cover letter, resume, and one writing sample of 750 words or less to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communications Manager” in the subject line. Please provide all documents in PDF format. Incomplete applications will not be considered.