POSITION: Temporary, part-time (10 to 25 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Community Outreach Specialist
LOCATION: San Antonio
DURATION: 26 weeks, June 20, 2016 through December 15, 2016
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes (PPTV) is the statewide advocacy arm of Planned Parenthood affiliates in Texas that engages supporters of reproductive health to fight to protect and expand women’s access to preventative and reproductive healthcare, including abortion. The work at PPTV is fast paced and deals with complex and high priority matters related to the electoral and legislative politics of women’s health in Texas. Our programs range from talking to voters about the politics of abortion to advocating to protect state funding for breast cancer screenings.
The Youth Organizer will lead campus and community outreach activities to engage young people in the fight for reproductive health in Texas, including recruiting new supporters, engaging volunteers, executing effective issue and voter education campaigns, and hosting campus events.
- Recruit students and young people to support Planned Parenthood and access to reproductive healthcare through campus and community events and actions, including tabling, crowd canvassing, and phonebanking.
- Promote engagement of existing supporters and development of volunteers through organized events and actions on and off campus, including participating in and leading trainings and facilitating meetings.
- Build meaningful relationships and partners with campus organizations to further reproductive justice initiatives on campus.
- Attend local community events on behalf of Planned Parenthood as requested.
- Additional responsibilities, as needed.
- Currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at the University of Texas at San Antonio.
- Three months of consistent volunteer experience with Planned Parenthood or another progressive organization.
- Ability to function in a fast paced work environment and manage multiple tasks.
- Working knowledge of Google Docs, Microsoft Office Suite, and other technical tools.
- Participation with PP Generation, Youth Organizing & Policy Institute (YOPI), Student Leadership & Advocacy Meeting (SLAM), and other Planned Parenthood youth activities preferred, but not required.
- Campaign experience preferred, but not required.
Personal Qualities/Other Attributes
- Deep appreciation for mission of Planned Parenthood and reproductive justice.
- Interest in Texas politics.
- Enjoys operating in a fast-paced environment; a nimble and flexible work style.
- A direct and open interpersonal communication style; a smart and confident leader.
As a Youth Organizer, you will participate in regional, state, and national trainings run by experienced Planned Parenthood staff. All Youth Organizers are required to attend the Planned Parenthood Youth Power Summit in Houston, August 19-21. This training will supplement the valuable skills and experience you gain on your campus and in your community.
This position is paid hourly at a rate of $10.00 per hour.
How to Apply
8/25/2016: THIS POSITION HAS BEEN FILLED.
To apply, send a one-page resume, cover letter of 650 words or less, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Each document should be a separate attachment; all attachments should be saved in PDF format and named in the format of “Last Name, First Name – Document Name”.
- Cover letters included in the body of the email will not be accepted.
- References from employment, academic and volunteer experience are acceptable.
- Please indicate “Youth Organizer – San Antonio” in the email subject line.
- All applications must be received by June 27, 2016.
Equal employment opportunity and having a diverse staff are fundamental to our success at PPTV. Employment opportunities are based on an individual’s capabilities and qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, or any other protected characteristic as established under the law.