North Texas Community Organizer
POSITION: Permanent, Full-time
REPORTS TO: Organizing and Training Director
LOCATION: Dallas, TX
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes (PPTV) is the statewide advocacy arm of Planned Parenthood affiliates in Texas that engages supporters of reproductive health to fight to protect and expand women’s access to preventative and reproductive healthcare, including abortion. The work at PPTV is fast paced and deals with complex and high priority matters related to the electoral and legislative politics of women’s health in Texas. Our programs range from talking to voters about the politics of abortion to advocating to protect state funding for breast cancer screenings.
PPTV is expanding our field team and is hiring a Community Organizer that will work for both PPTV and PPTV Political Action Committee (PAC).
The Community Organizer is responsible for carrying out Planned Parenthood Texas Votes’ mission and advocacy objectives, engaging new supporters in the fight for reproductive health in Texas, developing volunteer leaders and advocates, building and attending community events, and executing effective issue and voter education campaigns.
This is a full-time position based in Dallas, Texas.
- Recruit, train, and activate volunteers to support Planned Parenthood and access to reproductive healthcare by engaging in issue advocacy, voter education, and electoral campaign activities.
- Build effective volunteer leaders and teams and communicate with volunteer leaders on a regular basis.
- Implement effective programs, actions and campaigns to increase advocacy for local Planned Parenthood supporters.
- Organize and execute field tactics such as phone banks, door-to-door canvasses, and other community events such as house parties, town hall meetings, volunteer orientations, and leadership development trainings.
- Identify student leaders and coordinate outreach events on college campuses to educate and activate college students to advocate on reproductive health and rights issues.
- Attend community meetings, conferences, and events on behalf of Planned Parenthood Texas Votes.
- Develop meaningful relationships with community leaders, allied organizations, and coalition groups to build the base of support in the community.
- Maintain all data in the Voter Activation Network (VAN), including new supporter sign ups and events.
- Additional duties, as assigned.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Any combination of at least (5) years of work experience and/or college-level education, with at least one (1) of year experience directly related to women’s issues, public policy, politics, community organizing, movement building, and/ or volunteer management.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships, and work collaboratively, with Planned Parenthood supporters and volunteers, PPTV and affiliate staff, as well as external partners and consultants.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and complete assignments in an efficient manner, as well as adapt to changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and carry out work effectively, with minimal supervision while working remotely.
- Ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, deadline driven team environment .
- Working knowledge of Google Docs, Microsoft Office Suite, and other technical tools.
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including evenings and weekends.
- Licensed driver with access to a reliable, insured vehicle.
- Bilingual, English/Spanish preferred.
- Deep appreciation for the mission of Planned Parenthood and knowledge of and commitment to other progressive causes.
- Enjoys meeting and speaking with new people, and sharing with and learning from others.
- Interest in Texas and progressive politics.
- Self-motivated; able to identify priorities and complete work independently.
- Comfortable in ambiguity; able to create clarity and understanding.
- Strong organizational skills and detailed-oriented.
- Flexible work style; enjoys operating in a fast-paced and demanding environment.
- Excited to learn the use of data to set goals and measure progress.
- Comfortable with technology, and able to learn new tools quickly.
- A direct and open interpersonal communication style
- Integrity, independent thinking, and personal courage
- Diplomatic style; and high emotional intelligence
HOW TO APPLY
To apply, send a resume, cover letter, and three references to email@example.com.
- Indicate “Community Organizer – Dallas” in the email subject line.
- All applications must be received by 11:59pm, Sunday, March 11, 2018.
- All attachments should be saved in PDF format and named in the format of “Last Name, First Name – Document Name”.
- Cover letters included in the body of the email will not be accepted.
- References from employment, academic and volunteer experience are acceptable.
ADDITIONAL POSITION INFORMATION
Planned Parenthood Texas Votes is an equal employment opportunity employer and is committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment, and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. Planned Parenthood is committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.
BENEFITS & COMPENSATION
PPTV offers a competitive benefits package for full-time employees that includes 100% employer paid medical, dental and vision coverage, life and AD&D and short term and long term disability for the employee. We also offer optional flexible spending account and additional life coverage. Full-time employees receive 11 paid holidays plus an additional winter break and two weeks paid time off.